On Tuesday October 11, 2011 Leanne (Chin) was diagnosed with breast cancer. This blog will follow her journey. It will share the peaks and valleys along the way. But it will also serve as a way to communicate prayer requests and praises. Join us as we partner with Chin and fight along side her for she "...can do all things through Christ who strengthens her." Phil. 4:13

When leaving a comment, please sign your name so we know you were here. Thanks!
The meaning behind Chin ... There is a Chinese restaurant in the Twin Cities named Leann Chin. While Leanne was attending a basketball camp in middle school, a fellow camper had a bag from the restaurant. This camper made the connection between the name of the restaurant and Leanne's name. And the nickname Chin stuck!

Monday, May 4, 2015

Stories vol.2

I pray these stories encourage you to not take a moment or interaction for granted. Our last story was of a fellow cancer patient. Today, a story from a former co worker. Take a moment to read this story and be encouraged and challenged to not underestimate your influence in your work place. Your actions point people to Christ more than you may ever realize!

Here is Ashley's story:

I met Leanne at Washington Elementary School fall 2008.  I was a graduate student, student teaching with her 5th grade teaching partner, Gerry.  Immediately, Leanne and her fellow teaching partner, Amy, welcomed me into their teaching world.  Together, they were quite the teaching duo!  I was amazed at all they knew about literacy.  Leanne saw that I was new to teaching, and was so encouraging and real.  She gave me hope and encouragement to try new things, and explained how to do them.  The teaching partnership Amy & Leanne had was one I can only aspire to have someday.

Leanne was very kind to me.  We talked about all the things we had in common - same age, both went to Moorhead to college - though she was at Concordia, and I at MSUM.  She talked about playing basketball with our mutual friend Debbie Slack.  She just welcomed me so much, in an environment that can sometimes be closed off to new people, especially student teachers.  She was the most welcoming staff member at Washington, and made me feel confident about what I was doing each day.  She wouldn't have had to of done that, but she did.  I was so grateful. 

Leanne was also so kind that when I finished my student teaching, she sent me EVERY file she had on her computer to help get me started as a new teacher.  From lesson plans to templates, these files became invaluable to me as I began my first year teaching the following year and I thought of her often.

Leanne gave me the opportunity to sub for her later that year.  I was so impressed by her organized classroom.  I remember she had a digital picture frame on her desk and how happy she was as she explained who was in the photos as they went by.

My time with dist. 206 was limited to that experience, but the impact of working with Leanne continues on.  I model my 4th grade classroom after what I learned from Leanne about reader's and writer's workshop and balanced literacy.  She was an amazing, strong, organized, gifted teacher.  She was top notch.  

I've followed the Team Chin blog from day one.  I should have reached out to Leanne and told her about her impact on my teaching career long ago.  I wanted you to know what an impact she had professionally, and how highly I thought of her.  

In addition to being a teacher, I have a 21 month old son, Dylan.  I connect with Leanne so much, and wish for your continued strength and faith to continue.  Her faith is inspiring to me.  My son and I have said many prayers for Leanne, Leo, Ryan and your families.  We will continue to do so.

Sincerely,
Ashley 

No comments: