On Tuesday October 11, 2011 Leanne (Chin) was diagnosed with breast cancer. This blog will follow her journey. It will share the peaks and valleys along the way. But it will also serve as a way to communicate prayer requests and praises. Join us as we partner with Chin and fight along side her for she "...can do all things through Christ who strengthens her." Phil. 4:13

When leaving a comment, please sign your name so we know you were here. Thanks!
The meaning behind Chin ... There is a Chinese restaurant in the Twin Cities named Leann Chin. While Leanne was attending a basketball camp in middle school, a fellow camper had a bag from the restaurant. This camper made the connection between the name of the restaurant and Leanne's name. And the nickname Chin stuck!

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Stories vol. 4

I pray these stories encourage you to not take a moment or interaction for granted. Our stories have included those of a fellow cancer patient, a former co worker, and a mentor type relationship. Today, we hear from a complete stranger; someone Leanne met one time. Leanne was someone who did not take a single opportunity for granted. When she felt the Holy Spirit prompting her to befriend someone, she did. After you read this story, may you be challenged to do the same. You never know whose path you are crossing and the impact God would have you make for His sake.

Here is Kessia's story:

Dear family of Leanne,

I wish that I was one of the very lucky ones to say I knew Leanne really well. That we were really close and knew each other for years, went to college together, or something along those lines. But the truth is, we met once. Tuesday, June 11th 2013. And ran into each other two times after that in passing.

On Tuesday, June 11th, around 5:00 in the evening, I was there with my kids, my then 4 1/2 year old daughter and 2 1/2 year old son at Miller Park in Eden Prairie. It was a perfect evening for playing in the splash pad and playing on the park. 

I remember noticing a woman that looked really close to my age, and looked to be sitting with her mother on a bench watching over the splash pad, they were chatting and smiling at each other. I remember this image in my head, because they both looked really relaxed, so comfortable with each other and really just enjoying the gorgeous evening. My kids had a bucket of toys maybe 5 feet away from them, and this cute little red headed boy approached them and picked up a bucket or small toy or something.  I smiled at them and said, "oh its fine!" They then asked me how old my kids were and I told them, they asked me if I did anything with the family center and I said "yes, of course!", we've gone though babies, 1's, 2's, and do preschool through the family center. I asked Leanne how old Leo was. She told me 18 months, but he was born at 32 weeks. I asked her if she was at the mother/baby center at Abbott to which she replied she was. I told her that I had just had a very complicated pregnancy, at my 20 week scan, my third child showed severe growth issues, low amniotic fluid, and several other issues. I was prepared to have to to go to the mother/baby center at Abbott and have my daughter in the Children's NICU, however, her heart stopped in utero at 26 weeks in April. She told me how sorry she was, and that she would pray for me. I remember thinking how amazing to have the courage to tell someone, "I will pray for you" after a 4 minute park conversation at the park. But I was grateful, I said, "Thank you, I really appreciate it, I miss my daughter very much". She then told me about why Leo was born at 32 weeks. I can't quite articulate how I felt here, I was at a loss for words, maybe it's because I had by now figured out that her and I are a mere 10 months apart and fathoming what she had gone through at nearly the same age just took my breath away. I think I uttered something like, "are you okay now though?". She told me that she was going through Chemo again but that this gorgeous day in June, she had gotten some really encouraging news. She was all smiles. Like, the warmest smiles that someone could have. I was so happy for her. I also realized I had read about her story in the EP paper, and began putting it all together. We talked some more about the family center, and Fran taking a leave of absence, how we both went to EPHS 1 year apart, we talked about Wooddale and Mops, which I had tried once 3 years ago, but felt out of place. We just chatted for a few minutes more about our kiddos. 

Soon, it was time for me to get my kids home for dinner.  I drove home that night, and looked at my 2 children here on earth, I looked to the sky, which I often do when I think about my daughter in heaven. And I felt blessed. So. Amazingly. Blessed.

I felt so thankful for what I do have. 

I was so encouraged by the strength she showed.

I got home and I began to google that story in the EP paper, I found the Team Chin blog that night and read it from start to finish. I began to follow her story. After every successful chemo or bit of good news, I was overjoyed. And I felt anxiety every time there was a set back. 

I began to figure out her family dynamics, and the closeness of the White/Miller/Euken family is something of such greatness. I could picture in my head the family gatherings filled with love, laughter, tears and joy. Greatness.

The second time Leanne and I ran into each other was very brief, it was at the Goodwill in Chanhassen a Thursday morning in either July or August. She happily pushed Leo in a cart and looked to be enjoying the Toddler Thursday as a momma with her son finding some 1/2 price toys. Just the two of them, out and about on a summer morning, being a stay at home mom. We passed each other, said hey how are you, good. But we unfortunately weren't able to talk. 

This is when I started to think that there was a reason for our meeting. I told other people about her. About this amazingly strong woman just a few months older than me and the journey she was on that I anonymously followed so closely. 

I have a strong anxiety disorder, I've struggled with it all of my adult life. I have panic disorder and hypochondria. My thoughts are obsessive.  I live full of fear and anxiety.

Yet again, in the Christmas season, somewhere around a week before Christmas, Leanne and I ran into each other at Kohl's. She was at the cashier checking out and I was 2 people behind her, she finished up, looked at me and smiled, we were about to say Hi, but another cashier opened up her lane and called me over to check out. By the time I was finished, she had left the store. 

I drove home that night, and since I closely followed her blog, I knew she was still going through chemo and yet here she was, so strong. 

I saw a Therapist weekly, I told him the next week about her. How there had to be a reason for our meeting. I couldn't believe that this was just a random thing. God was putting her in my life for a reason, showing me what it looked like to live for Him. While I am so consumed with anxiety and fear, I often feel helpless, but Leanne, Leanne was living what I fear so much. 

It made me think, what am I supposed to do now, what am I supposed to do with this? I wanted to be friends with her, I wanted to know her. It is pretty easy to see why, clearly. She was an inspiration, and I wanted to know her. I tried friending her on Facebook, but she never did accept, possibly not realizing who I was. After all, I knew so much about her and her really not knowing anything about who I am.

I thought about joining MOPS, now known as Mom's Connect in the fall. For myself, and with hopes to run into Leanne. 

She is someone I wanted to be friends with, to know, and become close with. She didn't really know me at all, but I followed her. I am amazed by her. She made me question how I live my own life. After watching the memorial service posed on Team Chin, I yearn for a deeper relationship with God. 

I pray for Leo, as many hundreds, thousands, do, that he may know the strength of his mother and for her love and Gods to clothe him with comfort. For Ryan, Chris and Fran. For Katie, Aimee and Tim and spouses and nieces. Stay strong.

God Bless you all, 
Kessia

No comments: