The Care Team met on Monday to discuss Leanne's plan for surgery. Her surgery is scheduled for May 29th. She will have chemo on May 3rd and 10th as long as her counts are high enough. At this point, radiation is planned for after surgery. Leanne will not be able to have reconstruction until after radiation is complete. They want to give her some time to heal and get radiation in without trying to stretch the skin too quickly.
As far as surgery goes, the surgeon will have to take some skin in order to get clean margins. (Meaning the surgeon wants to get all of the cancerous tissue in that breast) 48 hours after surgery the final pathology report will come back. If the margins are not clean enough, they might have to go back into surgery again. Once the surgeon has clean margins, if the skin does not close they will have to use a flap of skin from her back to close.
So, as you can tell, lots of changes are in store for Leanne. Please keep praying for her. Here are some specific requests from Leanne:
- That the surgeon would be able to close without any trouble after removing enough skin to get clean margins
- Pathology reports come back with clean margins
- Counts stay up for two more chemo treatments before surgery
- Freedom from fear and anxiety in the coming weeks
- Guidance for the doctor's hands.
- Leo to sleep through the night.