On Tuesday October 11, 2011 Leanne (Chin) was diagnosed with breast cancer. This blog will follow her journey. It will share the peaks and valleys along the way. But it will also serve as a way to communicate prayer requests and praises. Join us as we partner with Chin and fight along side her for she "...can do all things through Christ who strengthens her." Phil. 4:13

When leaving a comment, please sign your name so we know you were here. Thanks!
The meaning behind Chin ... There is a Chinese restaurant in the Twin Cities named Leann Chin. While Leanne was attending a basketball camp in middle school, a fellow camper had a bag from the restaurant. This camper made the connection between the name of the restaurant and Leanne's name. And the nickname Chin stuck!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Here we go again ...

We've endured more than our fair share. 3 1/2 years of cancer with Leanne. A brutal, painful, faith building journey that ended with what still seems like the worst possible outcome was God's sovereign plan since before time began. Months after Leanne's death, my grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer. Thankfully, she had a successful surgery, needed no chemo or radiation, and was declared cancer free.

It felt safe to think that God would surely give us a break from breast cancer for a while. We deserved that right?! 

Last Thursday, Deb, Ryan's mom had a routine mammogram which revealed something suspicious. Her Dr. scheduled a biopsy and results would be in on Monday. Her Dr. called and said it is cancer. She met with her Oncologist and surgeon today at 4pm and here is what we know:
  • Deb has HER2 estrogen negative invasive ductal carcinoma 
  • She will have a MRI tomorrow (4/22) to give the surgeon and oncologist a better picture of what her tumor looks like
  • Regardless of what the scan shows, Deb will have surgery, chemo, and radiation. We just don't know what order they will be in.
  • Deb and her family are praying about seeking a second opinion
I wrote something similar when Leanne was diagnosed the second time and it is just as applicable today as it was then: 

God knew that this was going to be the news we heard today. He is not the least bit worried about what will happen in the next few days, weeks, months, and years. He has a plan for Deb and it is better than anything we could ever imagine. We are going to trust God's promise in this verse:

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

Please be praying for the following:
  • Wisdom for Deb, her family, doctors, and surgeons in making decisions
  • Strength for Deb in this journey as she battles cancer
  • Strength for her family and friends as they support her in this journey
  • Peace to be abundant in the days, weeks, and months ahead

2 comments:

Jill T said...

Wow. I know about Team Chin because we have mutual friends. As I read the Bible verse you shared from Isaiah 41, particularly this part: "I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand," I knew I needed to write you a brief message.

God knows. We don't. Late last May, I was at a hotel with my friend in Rochester, right across the street from Mayo Clinic right after my friend learned that her breast cancer that had spread into her lungs and now spread into the lining of her brain. I opened the drawer next to the bed pulled out the provided Bible. I flipped the Bible open to Isaiah 41. I read that verse aloud to Susanne. And we then discussed what it meant for her to be upheld with the Lord's right hand.

Your Leanne and my dear friend Susanne were both on a KTIS radio program with Heather F. in early September 2013. It was a powerful show where both Leanne and Susanne shared with Heather some of their experiences with cancer, their aches, pains, joys, and sorrow. It was great to hear their stories, but it was more important to hear about their faith in Jesus. Just as Team Chin greatly misses Leanne, Susanne's friends and family miss her after she had her day of glory last September 14.

I've given up trying to understand cancer other than that it is one of the most precious opportunities to be broken for Jesus. I will be praying for Deb as she goes through so much in the coming days. May she come to understand Psalm 23 in a new and powerful way as she walks through the valley of the shadow of death without fearing evil because of the very presence of Christ in her life.

Above all, may God be honored by her life and sacrifice in the coming days. God is good all the time; all the time, God is good.

Jena :) said...

Oh man. :( praying for peace, comfort, and guidance.