On Tuesday October 11, 2011 Leanne (Chin) was diagnosed with breast cancer. This blog will follow her journey. It will share the peaks and valleys along the way. But it will also serve as a way to communicate prayer requests and praises. Join us as we partner with Chin and fight along side her for she "...can do all things through Christ who strengthens her." Phil. 4:13

When leaving a comment, please sign your name so we know you were here. Thanks!
The meaning behind Chin ... There is a Chinese restaurant in the Twin Cities named Leann Chin. While Leanne was attending a basketball camp in middle school, a fellow camper had a bag from the restaurant. This camper made the connection between the name of the restaurant and Leanne's name. And the nickname Chin stuck!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

let's start

at the very beginning ... (written by Leanne)

God created the heavens and the earth. . . ok ok I know that is not what you are looking for. . . I will try again. . . At the very beginning. . . it was a cyst.  Two doctors confirmed it and I felt confident in their diagnosis.  They told me to just watch it and let them know if it ever changed or grew.  That was March 2011.  Fast forward to June, Ryan and I get pregnant.  I continue to watch the cyst and it does not change over the summer.  Mid-September I notice that the cyst has grown and is starting to hurt.  I call the clinic and they advise me to wait until my appointment the next week.  At the appointment (September 27) the doctor decides she wants an ultrasound of the cyst. September 29th: I have the ultrasound done and get a call the next day saying they want me to meet with a surgeon.  October 3: we have the meeting with the surgeon.  He wants to do a biopsy.  October 6: I have the biopsy done and we wait for results.  October 10: the surgeon calls and says he wants Ryan and I to come in the next morning and he will not give any information over the phone.  October 11: we meet with the Surgeon and the Certified Nurse Midwife I have been seeing throughout my pregnancy.  They give us the news  and let us know that they are referring me to the Piper Center at Abbott Northwestern in the cities.  We get really scared and nervous, pray, and call our parents to come to us. We spend the rest of the morning at Marty and Mandy's house being distracted by their two beautiful little boys as we did not think we could drive home and did not know where else to go. (We are soooooo blessed with good friends)  We eventually meet up with our parents and spend the afternoon at home in Fergus deciding on what our plan will be.  Wednesday we go to my parents house and are surrounded by some of the greatest people in the world Tim, Danielle, Crosby, Katie, Bret, Mollie, and Aimee.

Fast forward to Thursday, October13.  We (Ryan and I and both sets of our parents) meet with Dr. Johnson, the surgeon.  We feel calmed by the discovery that we can do chemotherapy and other treatment while I am still pregnant (There are two kinds of chemo and I will need both. One is safe during pregnancy and the other is not. The one that is safe to have while pregnant I will start soon and the other I will have after Grover makes his/her entrance into the world).  We talk about surgery and he lets us know that it is not if but when. He and the big, huge team of doctors and oncologists will meet Monday, October 17, to talk about my case (they do this for every case) and decide which will come first, chemo or surgery.  We also meet with Dr. Bloom, the oncologist who laughs at my answer of "duh" to the question "why are you here?"  He answers a lot of questions and wants to start treatment right away.  He decides that because of the risk of infection and the way that chemo will lower my immune system that I not return to school this year.  He recommends that we be transferred to a perinatologist (high risk pregnancy doctor) and think about doing chemo in the cities because other places might not be comfortable giving chemo to a pregnant person.  (This is also because Dr. Bloom, Dr. Johnson, and the Perinatologist are all at the same place and can easily communicate with each other to streamline my care)

We have an appointment Monday (October 17) with the perinatologist and will get to find out if Grover is a boy or a girl.  We want to check on Grover and make sure everything is alright before we start treatment.  We will also find out what the doctors decide is the plan for treatment and surgery.

Please pray for us as we journey on the long road ahead. Check back Monday to find out who is growing in me!!

17 comments:

Mary said...

You will be in my prayers Leanne. May God wrap His arms around you and your sweet baby and give you strength and peace.

Blessings,
Mary

Rebecca Hilbrand said...

Leanne and family, Your pictures are beautiful! LEANNE, you are so strong and everything you have said about your family (during our years together in mentorship) I just know you will all be a team and be strong together! I am thinking of you often and my prayers include you, Ryan, the baby, and your family!
With Love, Becca Hilbrand

Danielle314 said...

Continuing to pray! We love you so much!

dkmoreno said...

Leanne, I'm so sorry to hear about this challenge that you are now facing along with the joy of being pregnant. My prayers are with you and your family. Please connect with the Childbirth Collective while you are in the cities. There are wonderful doulas and other birth professionals who can help support you with this. Look them up at www.childbirthcollective.org . I am still an associate member of this great group. Let me know if you want any recommendations. Blessings to you. Diane Moreno

Anonymous said...

Leanne,
From the moment I met you, I knew you were a strong and determined young woman. You will face this challenge with strength, determination, faith and support of your friends and family. You CAN do this! Looking forward to hearing whether Grover (???) is a boy or girl.
Love to you,
Carmen Hamilton

Randy and Deb Riemer said...

Leanne and Ryan,
We were so sorry to hear about what has happened to you. God will give you the strength to get through this. We will keep the two of you and your baby in our thoughts and prayers.

Randy had cancer at age 23 and after his treatment and ever since then, he has been cancer free. All things are possible with God!!

Stay positive and keep the faith!! God lead you to this and He will lead you through it!!

Tabi said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Leanne.

Anne said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers. GO TEAM CHIN!!

Anne, Travis, & Claire

Anonymous said...

Leanne, Jeff and I are praying for you.... Praying for wisdom and clarity for your physicians and strength for you, Ryan, and your families. Blessings, Cindy

Steph said...

Praying, praying, praying Leanne! For you and for your sweet little baby.

Anonymous said...

Leanne,
You, Ryan, and little Miller are in my thoughts and prayers. May God wrap his loving arms around you and hold you tight. May you feel his presence, love, and strength holding you up on this journey.

You are a special woman.

God bless you,

Sue Flynn

Megan Paulson said...

Enjoy veiwing your tiny baby today. I can't wait to check back and find out who Grover is! Take care!

Megan Paulson

Katie Simmons Porter said...

Hi Leanne!
Even though we haven't seen y'all in a long time, I just want you and your whole big family (even the baby in your belly) how much y'all are loved! I will be praying for you, your sweet baby and the whole family.
p.s.- I know there are a lot of teachers in your family, so please don't critique my grammar. hahaha

Deuteronomy 31:6 (NLT)
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you."

SUE TAKEKAWA said...

CANCER STINKS! IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT SURGERY OR CHEMO DON'T HESITATE TO ASK ME. I KNOW YOUR FAMILY & FAITH WILL GET YOU THROUGH THIS "BUMP" IN THE ROAD.....

dstrand said...

My heart goes out to you. Having spent 2 months in the hospital I know how important communication is. Of course back then we did not have all these various methods of communication like we do now (blogs). Do you think we had telephones? Ok I am not that old!!!!
I can't think of a better place for you to take on this battle than at your parent's home. You have faith and your love for this baby (Grover/Grovette), Ryan,and family is immense. You can and will beat this.
Love you,
Dar Strand

Jill and Randy Euken said...

Leanne and Ryan:

You are in our prayers -- as are your physicians, technicians, and your family. May God give you strength.

Jill and Randy Euken

Unknown said...

Chinny! You are so strong and can beat this bad boy! :) You have so many people behind you including such a loving and caring family. And don't forget about your Cobber family...GO COBBS! Love ya!

Torrence...Captain Torrence :)

aka Tori Ehlert